Every quilter has those stray quilt blocks left over from completed quilts. Some come from trying different color ways, others find their way to you from rummage sales and boxes of fabric you forgot about. The Question becomes what to do with them. Here is a simple pillow that uses those blocks and gives them new life. I hope it inspires you to do something with those forgotten treasures.
The supplies needed are:
- A quilt block
- A pillow form the same size or slightly larger
- 2 pieces of matching fabric, the same size as your quilt block
- Sewing supplies : I use a sewing machine, my sister dose these by hand, either way works
- Start by laying your quilt block face up.
- Next lay one of your pieces of fabric over it right sides facing.
- Fold over 1/3 of the fabric and pin down.
- Now do the same with the other piece of fabric in the opposite direction
- pin around the whole pillow.
- sew around the pillow with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- turn right side out
- now insert your pillow form.
Once you have this done stand back and admire your work.
Don’t limit yourself to just quilt blocks. I have done this with treasured T-shirts, old hankies baby cloths, any thing I can cut into a square or rectangle. They look great on spare beds or even in the living room. Pillows are a great accessory and very easy to make. Give this quick idea a try for the holidays, these are great gifts.